Thursday 26 March 2015

How long does it take to recover from a sprained ankle?

Three weeks ago whilst at work I misjudged a slightly raised pavement and bent my right ankle so far over I seriously thought it was going to snap.
My ankle bent forwards and to the right and as I fell I managed to throw the bags and foot stools I was hold to assist with my crash landing onto the road but I knew immediately I had seriously damaged my foot and within a few minutes I could fell my foot and ankle swelling within my trainers.


Apart from feeling a fool and wanting to be sick I stood up and to my amazement I could take the weight of my body. I done a quick check list to diagnose myself!.


1- I can take my body weight!
2- I didn't hear or feel a snap so no fracture or break.
3- My foot or ankle didn't appear to go black immediately.


I hobbled off to my next job with the sensation of a swelling bruised foot and my ego a little embarrassed . And diagnosed that I had severely sprained my right ankle as it was swollen and I had pain and most like due to the ankle flexing so far over I had stretched my ligaments.


Week 1


After removing my trainer that evening I decided it was best to wait until I got home before removing my shoe in case I couldn't get it back on!  here is what I done to help with the pain and swelling.


  • I took pain killers anti-inflammatory to help with the inflammation and swelling.
  • I raised my foot and leg up all evening to assist with the pain and swelling in my right foot.
  • Apply nelsons arnica cream 50g (arnica Montana tincture) this is a topical herbal cream which traditionally used to symptomatic treatment of bruises.  Arnica is excellent for all bruises from knock and sprains it encourages the bruising to come out fast. It works within a few hours and the cream stops it being so painful and also prevents some of the nasty colours bruises cause..
    I would recommend the 50g tube and apply daily and it normally costs around £5 so its a great piece of kit for your first aid box.  Buy from Amazon for Free UK Delivery.
  • The next day I wore a ankle support , I have played hockey in the past and had a elastic ankle support which although gave some support it was too soon as by the end of the day a swelling the size of a plum had appeared above the ankle . So I applied more arnica cream and also some biofreeze sports gel which also aids in reducing pain and swelling from injuries.
You can apply biofreeze gel twice a day gently massaging into the injury and allow to dry its pretty quick, and wash your hands you will soon feel the tingling of the menthol in the gel and it will sting if it gets into open wounds and be careful of your eyes.  I use biofreeze a lot when my muscles ache after the gym or a swim and get immediately relieve. There are non branded alternatives including sprays but I prefer the gel as it can be applied directly into the area needed and the skin absorbs the gel well.

Week 2

  • My brusing had pretty much come out and there was a little around the heel bone and ankle but apart from that my foot was a lot less swollen and mostly it was noticeable around the ankle which was swollen and warm to touch.  Each morning after resting my foot it looked pretty good but by the end of the day it was aching and uncomfortable I found the best shoes to wear where my adidas high tops as they protected the ankle well and allowed for the swelling. I could walk and drive ok in them where my normal trainers were cutting into my ankle.



  • I was resting the foot every evening I couldn't stop working so I continued to biofreeze the foot every morning and eve I continued to take pain killers and on day 12 I decided due to the tenderness still and pain I needed something sturdy on the ankle to prevent movement in the talus area so I purchased a Mueller Ankle Support - M, Black amazon it cost £25.02 and was delivered within 3 days.
It came with Mueller 44547 Ankle Stabilzer - OSFM, Black great reviews and to be honest I have recommended patients to use Mueller products so I purchased with confidence.
It is recommend for severe sprains , and ligament damage which I had. It keeps the ankle stiff but allows slight movement for active people who play sports. But perfect for a weak ankle.  It takes a few minutes to put on but worth the bending over and lacing up . Fits into trainers and boots no problem. 


Week 3




It definitely supports my ankle and heel allowing me to stop worrying about turning my ankle over and causing more stress and damage to my already weak ankle joint.  I was beginning to walk awkwardly and was beging to get discomfort in my hips so the brace will realign me and stop me over compensating.


So it looks like its going to take some time for this ankle and its ligaments to heel so im bracing it up for work and preparing for a 6-8 week recovery , I have also introduced ankle stretches into my daily routine these are helping the stiffness in the muscles in my foot and calf of leg. 

No comments: